Traveling During the Holidays? App Lets US Citizens Skip The Lines
There are many benefits of becoming an American citizen that are not available to Green Card holders. International travelers know how long the customs lines can get during the holidays. An app from U.S. Customs and Border Protection lets US citizens skip the lines at most American ports of entry and get through long customs lines faster.
According to the CBP website, eligible travelers voluntarily submit their passport information and answers to inspection-related questions to CBP via a smartphone or tablet app prior to inspection. Android and iPhone users can download the free app from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
The Mobile Passport app gives international travelers the chance to opt-out of the customs line and pick a shorter line after entering passport and travel information electronically. Hans Miller, CEO and founder of Airside Mobile, the creator of Mobile Passport, said
“Mobile Passport is a free app that allows an American or Canadian citizen to enter the U.S. after a trip overseas with minimal waiting in line for customs.”
How to Use Mobile Passport Control
1. Download the app. No background check, interview or pre-approval needed!
2. Complete passport profiles in the app. With the free version of Mobile Passport, your passport info will expire four (4) hours after submission. To scan and store your passport info on your device for future trips, start a 7-day free trial of Mobile Passport plus.
3. UPON ARRIVAL turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone. Submit passports and customs declaration form in the app.
4. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will send you a digital receipt in the form of an encrypted QR code receipt after they have reviewed your submission, which will expire after four (4) hours.
5. Bypass the regular lines and follow the signs for Mobile Passport Control.
6. Show your physical passport and QR code receipt, and briefly talk to a CBP officer.
US citizens skip the lines when traveling by using Mobile Passport at 27 airports and four cruise ports in the United States. Up to 12 family members can be included on one account. All airline travelers must be processed by a CBP officer, but the app provides an option to streamline and shorten the process.
For more about naturalization and becoming a U.S. citizen, please contact the immigration attorneys at Chicago’s Godoy Law Office. We fight for immigrant rights and help immigrants navigate the complex and numerous immigration policies, procedures, and regulations. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 855-554-6369.