Beware of Immigration Scams
Immigration scams and fraud are serious problems and hurt innocent foreign victims and businesses. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services provides free resources and tools to help avoid immigration scams: https://www.uscis.gov/scams-fraud-and-misconduct/avoid-scams.
USCIS recently shared the following warning about immigration fraud:
“If you need legal advice on immigration matters, be careful who you trust. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a DOJ-recognized organization can give you legal advice.”
- TPS Re-registration Scams
- Immigration Scam in India
- Form I-9 and Email Scams
- “Notarios Públicos”
- Payments by Phone or Email
- Winning the Visa Lottery
- Scam Websites
- Job Offers
- Scams Targeting Students
- Paying Money for Connections or Jumping the Line
- Afghan Personal Information Scam
Don’t Get Scammed:
11 Questions to Ask Before You Hire an Immigration Attorney
If you need to hire an immigration attorney, you want to make sure the person helping you is a licensed attorney with experience in immigration cases. Here are eleven questions to ask before you hire an immigration lawyer to determine if they have the experience and knowledge to handle your case.
- Do you exclusively practice immigration law?
- Are you a member of AILA, the American Immigration Lawyers Association?
- What states are you licensed to practice law in?
- How much experience do you have in immigration law?
- What kind of outcomes do you get for immigration cases like mine?
- How much will my case cost?
- What kind of timeline do you anticipate for my case?
- Who will be handling my case?
- How often can I expect to get updates on my case?
- Do you have client testimonials and Google reviews?
- And finally, ask the attorney why they are the best option to handle your case.
You want to choose a skilled and experienced attorney who you trust to solve important issues that impact your future and the future of your loved ones. Immigration cases often take months, even years, to resolve so it’s important that you choose the immigration attorney who is right for you.
Contact Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy:
Our firm focuses on holding your hand through every step of the journey.
U.S. immigration law can be confusing. If you would like to discuss your situation with a skilled, experienced immigration attorney, please contact our office. We can schedule an attorney consultation to help you. Please call Godoy Law Office today at 630-912-0322 or use our online contact form.
Se habla español.
AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office Immigration Lawyers serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties