We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

can a non citizen sue the us government| godoy law office immigration lawyers

Can A Non-Citizen Sue The U.S. Government?

Is your immigration case taking too long? Do you feel the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) treated you unfairly? Did a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) employee cause you personal injury or property damage? Have your constitutional rights been violated? Can a non-citizen sue the federal government?

If you feel your rights as a non-citizen have been violated, there are several ways you can sue the federal government:

• A writ of mandamus is an order from a court to a government official ordering the government official to quickly and properly fulfill their official duties. In immigration cases, a lawsuit may be filed against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) USCIS to require those government agencies to make a faster decision on a pending immigration application.

• The United States Constitution protects the rights and liberties of all Americans – and includes protections for immigrants in the U.S. If your constitutional rights are violated, you can file a Bivens claim if a federal officer who is acting on behalf of DHS or USCIS violates the U.S. Constitution.

• If you have been detained illegally or unfairly by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), a writ of habeas corpus can be filed to challenge the conditions or length of detention. This is a court order requiring that public officials such as ICE deliver a detained individual to court and show a valid reason for that person’s detention.

Know Your Rights

Do you know your rights as an immigrant or non-citizen? Non-citizens are entitled to sue the U.S. government if their rights have been violated. To protect your rights and your American Dream, it’s important that your attorney is experienced in immigration law and litigation.

Do You Need An Immigration Attorney To Protect Your Rights

As a non-citizen, you have rights. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact the experienced immigration lawyers at Godoy Law Office at 630-912-0322.

Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties. 

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association