We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Can I Work While Waiting For My Green Card?

Can I Work While Waiting For My Green Card?

If you have a valid work visa such as an H-1B or L-1 visa, immigrants can work in the United States while you are applying for a U.S. Green Card or you are waiting for your Green Card to be approved. If you have applied to become a legal permanent resident but haven’t yet received a Green Card and do not have a work permit, you are not allowed to work in the United States.

To work in the U.S. while your permanent resident application is pending if you do not have a valid work visa, you need to obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) work permit.

What Is An Employment Authorization Document?

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) work permit that authorizes a foreign national to work in the United States, typically for one year. Employers are required to prove that all employees are legally authorized to work in the U.S. A Form I-766 Employment Authorization Document looks like a credit card and has many security features. The EAD card has some basic identification information about the immigrant including:

• name
• birth date
• sex
• immigrant category
• country of birth
• photo, immigrant registration number (also called “A-number”)
• card number
• restrictive terms and conditions
• dates of validity

Green Card holders do not need an EAD because their Green Card is government-issued proof that they are authorized to work in the U.S.

Learn More: How To Apply For An EAD

Cook County and DuPage County Immigration Lawyer

Godoy Law Office is an established immigration law firm in Chicago and Lombard, Illinois, with attorneys who are ready to review your situation and help your immigration case. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at  630-912-0322.  

Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties. 

Se habla español. 

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association