We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

how international students can get a green card through the EB-2 NIW | Godoy law office immigration lawyers

How International Students Can Get a Green Card Through the EB-2 NIW

Many international students on an F-1 student visa want to get a green card that will allow them to live and work in the United States after their studies are completed. A recent article in Forbes magazine explains one option for students. F-1 international students can get a green card through the EB-2 NIW (National Interest Waiver) category.

To qualify, students must demonstrate that their presence in the U.S. is in the national interest. And they have exceptional abilities in their field, such as STEM OPT fields (science, technology, engineering or mathematics Optional Practical Training). The application process involves submitting evidence and a persuasive petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

What Is An F-1 Student Visa?

F visas are non-immigrant student visas. They allow international students to pursue grammar school, high school, college and other educational and training programs in the U.S. F-1 students must maintain a full course of study to maintain eligibility.

Many international students want to gain U.S. work experience to help them get a job in the United States after graduation.

What Is An EB-2 National Interest Waiver Visa?

An EB-2 visa is an employment-based visa for someone with either an advanced degree or exceptional ability. Applicants who fall into one of these categories and whose employment would be in the national interest of the United States may apply for a national interest waiver (NIW) as a part of their EB-2 petition. With an EB-2 NIW visa, the applicant is considered a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

The process for international students applying for s green card through the EB-2 NIW can be complex. And we highly recommend that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Contact an Experienced Illinois Student Visa and Green Card Attorney

The experienced immigration lawyers at Godoy Law Office can help international students obtain and extend visas, assess your situation, and advise you on your best options to qualify for a green card. Call today at 630-912-0322.   

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association