New 2020 Citizenship Civic Test Discontinued
The Biden administration discontinued the new citizenship civics test that immigrants must pass to become United States citizens. The new 2020 civic education test was put into effect by the Trump administration. Critics said the new test was longer and more complicated than the previous 2018 version. Effective March 1, 2021, USCIS went back to the 2008 version of the Naturalization Civics Test.
10 Benefits of Being A U.S. Citizen
There are many benefits of being a U.S. citizen. United States citizens are entitled to rights and privileges that Legal Permanent Residents – Green Card holders – do not have. Here are 10 reasons to become a United States citizen:
1. If a Green Card holder commits a crime, their legal Permanent Resident status can then be revoked and they can be deported. A naturalized citizen is entitled to the same rights as a natural-born citizen, and cannot be deported.
2. U.S. citizens can vote in local and federal elections.
3. Citizens get priority to sponsor family members to permanently move to the United States.
4. A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen may automatically obtain U.S. citizenship.
5. Citizens are eligible for Federal jobs that LPRs cannot get.
6. A U.S. passport and the ability to contact the U.S. Embassy provide some protection during international travel.
7. Certain educational scholarships are only available to U.S. citizens.
8. Citizenship almost eliminates the risk of deportation. Unless there is a mistake or someone committed fraud during his or her immigration proceedings, citizenship is permanent. Once a person becomes a citizen, he or she is typically immune from deportation.
9. Citizens are permitted to leave the country for long periods of time, unlike Green Card holders.
10. It costs less to become a U.S. citizen than to remain a Green Card holder. Permanent Residents must renew their green card every 10 years and pay applicable fees.
DuPage County Citizenship Lawyer
The attorneys at Godoy Law Office work with you to evaluate your immigration status and guide you in your journey to becoming a US citizen. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 630-912-0322.
AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties