Over 16,000 Doctors From India and China Are In Green Card Backlog
The United States is facing a potential medical crisis if the ongoing Green Card backlog crisis is not resolved. Over 16,000 doctors from India and China are caught up in the immigration backlog that has resulted in their inability to receive their Green Cards.
In the summer of 2021, U.S. Representatives. Zoe Lofgren of California and John Curtis of Utah introduced the bipartisan Equal Access to Green Cards for Legal Employment Act that would phase out the per-country limits on employment-based immigrant visas.
Immigrant Health Care Workers In Illinois
Approximately 28% of all surgeons and physicians in the United States are immigrants, and 16.3% of all nurses, according to the American Community Survey. The percent of immigrant health care workers in Illinois is:
• Health Care Workers 17.73%
• Physicians 32.2%
• Nurses 14.98%
Equal Access to Green Cards for Legal Employment Act
The Equal Access to Green Cards for Legal Employment (EAGLE) Act of 2021 phases out the 7% per-country cap on employment-based immigrant visas and raises the per-country cap on family-sponsored visas to 15%:
• phases out the 7% per-country cap for employment-based immigrant visas
• raises the 7% per-country limit on family-sponsored visas to 15%
• includes a longer nine-year transition period to ensure that no countries are excluded from receiving visas while the per-country caps are phased out
• strengthens the H-1B temporary visa program
• provides an option for individuals who have been waiting in the immigrant visa backlog for two years to file a Green Card application, although the application cannot be approved until a visa becomes available
Are You An Immigrant Health Care Worker In Illinois On An H-1B Visa?
Godoy Law Firm’s experienced business immigration attorneys can help with Green Cards for health care professionals and employers, including hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, registered nurses, physical therapists, medical technologists, occupational therapists, nursing assistants.
Contact Godoy Law Office today at 855-908-3963 to answer foreign nurses’ and doctor’s questions about immigration, help you file an immigration application and guide you through every step of the immigration process.