Watch: 9 U.S. Citizenship Requirements
In order to become a U.S. citizen, all naturalization applicants must meet citizenship requirements. Foreigners who go through the naturalization process to become a citizen are entitled to many benefits and privileges of citizenship not available to green card holders, including:
• the right to vote
• ability to sponsor family members for citizenship
• access to certain jobs and benefits
• freedom to travel
• the option to hold public office
Understanding the naturalization requirements and process is critical to ensure you successfully navigate the citizenship An experienced citizenship attorney can advise you if you meet the citizenship requirements and help you every step of the way.
WATCH: Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy Explains The U.S. Citizenship Requirements
In this video, we’re going to explain the U.S. citizenship requirements. To become a U.S. citizen you have to demonstrate the following:
1. So first generally you’ve got to be 18 years old to apply.
2. Second you have to be a green card holder.
3. Third you must continuously reside in the United States for at least five years. So there are exceptions to this rule if you’re married to a U.S. citizen or are you are a U.S. military member.
4. Number four is you must show that you were physically in the United States for at least half of that continuous residence time.
5. And then number five you must show that you have a good moral character now the government has 12 instances where they will find that you don’t have a good moral character. And they also have permission to look at other items to decide that you don’t have good moral character.
6. Number six if you are a male you may have been required to sign up for the selective services if you lived in the US between the ages of 18 and 25.
7. Number seven you must be able to communicate and answer questions in English.
8. Number eight you must pass a civics test.
9. And number nine you must be willing to take the oath of allegiance requiring you to support and defend the Constitution, be willing to bear arms or perform services of work of national importance.
Each of these rules has its own exceptions. Our office has helped clients that have issues with one or more of the rules. And this is where an immigration attorney can help you evaluate the facts of your case and help you at the interview.
Please feel free to call us with your immigration questions.
Our office is committed to protecting your American Dream.
Realize Your American Dream With Godoy Law Office
Don’t be intimidated by paperwork, requirements and deadlines! Godoy Law Office can help you complete your citizenship application and guide you all the way to the American Dream. We can determine if you meet the citizenship requirements, complete all the forms, submit required documents and make sure no deadlines are missed.
Contact our experienced immigration lawyers to schedule an appointment at 630-912-0322.