What To Do If You Are Charged With Unlawful Use of a Weapon
Unlawful of a Weapon is a serious crime in Illinois. Complicated unlawful use of a weapon (UUW) laws can make it easy to stumble into a very serious criminal charge. Many people legally carry a weapon to protect their safety. Many people face charges for illegal possession of a gun not because they were consciously breaking the law, but because they were inadvertently in violation of the law. This includes people from another state with different gun laws who were charged after Illinois police pulled them over and spotted a gun in their car.
If someone is investigated for having a gun on his or her person in public, and they do not have a Concealed Carry Permit, they may be arrested and charged with UUW. In Illinois, it is unlawful to possess a gun unless you have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID). If you do not have a FOID Card or if your FOID card is expired, or if the gun was loaded, you may be charged with an Aggravated UUW. UUW charges can be misdemeanors or felonies, depending on the circumstances. If you are convicted of UUW or Aggravated UUW, you can receive heavy fines and/or jail time.
• Health care professionals and security professionals who are convicted of gun charges can lose their professional license, in addition to facing fines and jail time, resulting in their inability to work in their field.
• Parents convicted of a felony gun charge can lose their rights to visitation or custody of their children.
• A gun charge on your criminal background check can result in the loss of jobs, housing and other opportunities.
If You Are Charged With Unlawful Gun Possession or Use
If you face UUW or other gun charges, it’s important to contact an experienced gun charge attorney right away. Your attorney can examine the charges and circumstances to find the best possible outcome for your situation including:
• reduce the charges to a lesser charge
• drop the charges completely
• dispute unconstitutional gun charges
Gun Charge Attorneys in Chicago
The gun charge attorneys at Godoy Law will fight to protect you and defend you against a range of criminal charges involving the unlawful use of a weapon (UUW), or impacting your ability to possess or buy firearms or ammunition in Illinois. Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties. To get started on your case, call 855-554-6369 to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys today.