We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

People often make the choice to move to the United States to earn a living and to provide for their families in their home countries. However, the time may come when a job offer becomes permanent, and an immigrant obtains U.S. citizenship. For these people, they have the option of sponsoring an immediate relative to enter and live in the United States.

These Bolingbrook immediate relative visas only apply to specific relatives. If accepted, these people could legally live in the United States, apply for a work permit, and transfer their visas into an application for a green card. However, these relatives must be married to a U.S. citizen, be that citizen’s unmarried child, or the citizen’s parents.

Working with a Bolingbrook immediate relative visa lawyer could help simplify this process. A lawyer could help determine if a relative meets the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements and collect the documentation needed to submit a complete application.

Who Counts as an Immediate Relative under U.S. Immigration Laws?

The USCIS immediate relative visa program allows U.S. citizens and green card holders to sponsor relatives to legally enter and live in the United States. However, only certain relatives qualify for these visas.

These visas take the form of K-3 and K-4 nonimmigrant visas. The K-3 program allows U.S. citizens to sponsor their spouses for admission into the United States. Similarly, the K-4 visa program applies to the children of that spouse who are unmarried and under the age of 21. These people do not need to wait in line like other relatives to receive a visa. As soon as the U.S. consulate in the spouse’s home country processes the application and conducts an interview, the relative may receive his or her visa. A Bolingbrook immediate relative visa lawyer could help choose a visa program that meets an immediate relative’s needs.

Rights that a Relative Receives under the Immediate Relative Visa Program

The most immediate benefit to receiving a relative visa is the right to enter the United States and reunite with a spouse. No person who is not a U.S. citizen or green card holder may ever cross the U.S. border without a visa. Obtaining this visa allows entry at an airport or any other border crossing.

Additionally, there is a specific length of two years for all immediate relative visas. Once this time limit expires, the holder must return home. However, many K-3 or K-4 visa holders choose to apply for a change in their status once in the country. In fact, many K-3 visa holders choose to submit a Form I-485 to begin the process of obtaining a green card and achieving legal permanent resident status. As a result, obtaining an immediate relative visa could be a powerful first step towards achieving legal permanent resident status and eventually U.S. citizenship. A Bolingbrook immediate relative visa lawyer could help to provide more information about the benefits of obtaining an immediate relative visa.

Let a Bolingbrook Immediate Relative Visa Attorney Help to Keep Families Together

It is a sad fact that international borders and immigration laws often keep spouses and children separated. Even though this is a common problem, modern U.S. immigration laws encourage these people to reunite. Even though a spouse or child cannot show up unexpected at a border crossing, the USCIS does allow U.S. citizens or green card holders to sponsor their immediate relatives for an immediate relative visa.

A Bolingbrook immediate relative visa attorney could help both U.S. citizens and spouses abroad to obtain these visas. Attorneys could explain the application process and detail what information is necessary to submit a proper request. They could also help current immediate relative visa holders to transform this temporary visa into a lawful permanent residency. Contact a Bolingbrook immediate relative visa attorney today to discuss your options.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association