We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Immigrating to the United States is a complicated process, but you never have to face it on your own. In fact, the guidance of a skilled immigration attorney could give you the best chance of success no matter what type of immigration case you are involved in.

From adjusting your status to applying for a visa, your choice of an attorney could greatly impact your case. Give yourself a chance for success. Discuss your options with an Oak Brook immigration lawyer from Godoy Law Office.

Types of Visas and Immigration Options You May Qualify For

There are countless reasons why a person might travel to the United States. For that reason, there are also numerous visa programs that allow a person to come to this country. Some of these options are immigrant visas that provide a path to citizenship. Others are temporary, requiring the applicant to return home after the visa period is complete.

Some types of visas an Oak Brook immigration attorney could assist with include:

Family-Based Visas To Become a Green Card Holder

Most people will need some kind of sponsor to qualify for a U.S. visa. In many cases, this sponsor is a close family member. Family-based immigration is one of the most common types of immigration, and in most cases immigrant visas are available.

There are two different systems for family-based immigration. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens get priority, and there is no limit on the number of these visas each year. Other close family members are required to wait for years in some cases.

Employment Visas and Work Permits

Employment-based visas are another common option. There are numerous types of employment-based visas, and some of these options provide a path to citizenship. Others are intentionally designed to be temporary in nature. There are visas that cover everything from seasonal work to investing in a U.S.-based business in order to create jobs.

Non-Immigrant Visa Options For Those Staying Temporarily

There are visas available for people who enter the U.S. for a temporary visit. Some of these visas include visitor visas, diplomatic visas, and student visas.

Student visas are a common example of a non-immigrant visa. They allow a foreign resident to come to the United States to complete their education. While here, students often have a limited ability to earn a living. Once their education is complete, they are generally required to leave the country unless they can qualify for a different type of visa.

Law Enforcement Options

There are visas created for witnesses and victims of crimes that help law enforcement in the investigation of a crime. These visas include S visas, T visas, and U visas.

The U visa provides 10,000 visas per year for victims of particular crimes that happen in the United States and who are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of that crime. This type of visa is available for all immigrants including undocumented immigrants.

The T visa is available to victims of trafficking so that they can remain in the U.S. and receive employment authorization. This type of visa can lead to a green card and the ability to live in the U.S. permanently.

Humanitarian Options

There are other humanitarian options that include Asylum, Parole, Parole-in-Place for military families, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Deferred Action, and Deferred Action for Certain Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

Asylum is a common application option for immigrants that experience torture or are afraid of torture in their home country on the account of their race, religion, political beliefs, gender, or membership in a particular social group.

When Is Adjustment of Status an Option?

There are different ways to obtain a visa or become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Some people are required to go through something known as consular processing, which involves applying for a visa and attending a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in that person’s country of residence.

Adjustment of status is different in that it allows a person to live in the United States while their visa application is considered. This is typically only an option for someone who is already in the country. An immigrant While most applicants are required to have a legal immigration status, adjustment of status can be used by someone when applying for refugee or asylum protections. An Oak Brook attorney could assist with this and all other aspects of the immigration process.

Call an Oak Brook Immigration Attorney Today

Your immigration case is important, and you deserve an attorney who treats it like a priority. The right legal counsel could improve your chances of success and reduce the stress that comes with immigration proceedings.

Contact our firm and talk to an Oak Brook immigration lawyer today to get started.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association