We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Adjustment of status is the process by which a foreign national who is in the United States on a temporary visa can apply for a green card that provides permanent resident status. The experienced naturalization attorneys at Godoy Law Office assist noncitizens in Greater Chicago and throughout Illinois with adjustment of status and other immigration matters.

Our experienced legal team is available to advise and assist people from other countries seeking adjustment of immigration status in Oak Brook, such as:

  • Adjustment of status from a tourist visa to a work visa
  • Adjustment of status from a student visa to a work visa
  • Adjustment of status having to do with age or family relationships
  • The adjustment from fiance(e) visa to a conditional green card (permanent residence) after a marriage takes place

A careful evaluation of your situation will allow an immigration attorney to recommend the best path forward if you believe you should qualify for an adjustment of status while still in the United States.

Requirements For Adjustment Of Status

In Oak Brook, there are certain criteria to file for adjustment of immigration status. These include:

  • Being physically present in the U.S. — If you are not currently living in the U.S., you may file for a petition to enter the U.S. as a permanent resident through consular processing. We can assist with this process.
  • Approved immigration petition — If you file a family-based petition as the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you may file an adjustment of status application along with the immigration petition that has been filed on your behalf. An adjustment of status application can also be filed with an I-140 employment-based petition.
  • Entered the U.S. legally — You must have been inspected and lawfully admitted to the U.S. The visa stamp in your passport or your I-94 arrival-departure form frequently serves as proof of lawful admittance.

We will help determine if you are eligible to request adjustment of status by fitting in one of several qualifying classifications. These include immigration based on family, employment, humanitarian, or membership in a special class of immigrants (Form I-360). If you are not eligible for adjustment of status due to criminal convictions or for other reasons, we will explore opportunities to resolve the issue so you can apply for a green card.

Consular Processing

Alternatively, you may still be in your home country and believe you should qualify for some type of visa such as a family-based visa or a work visa. You may be eligible to have your application or petition handled by a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. It is very helpful, in such cases, to work with an American attorney.

Contact an Attorney Now for Guidance With Adjustment of Immigration Status in Oak Brook

Our immigration lawyers have helped many clients resolve their immigration issues before they arrive in the U.S. Through email and phone communications, Godoy Law Office can advise and represent you in your consular processing application, by long distance.

Working with our knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyers can streamline the adjustment of status process in Oak Brook and beyond. Contact us today to schedule a meeting. We will answer your questions and recommend an effective course of action.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association