We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

The immigration may be a stressful time for you and your family. You may want to enlist an attorney early in the process, while you are filling out your family visa paperwork, especially if you have questions about Naperville family visa application tracking.

Even if you have already submitted your family visa application, an immigration lawyer may be able to assist you as your paperwork is processed. A skilled member of our team may be able to help you move the process along and address any complications that may arise.

Family Visa Applications

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the federal agency in charge of regulating immigration to the country. USCIS will approve or deny immigrant petitions, including family visa applications.

Both U.S. citizens and permanent residents, also known as green card holders, may petition USCIS for family visas. Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), foreign citizens who wants to live in the United States permanently may be able to apply for immigrant visas if they are sponsored by a citizen or permanent resident/green card holder who is also an immediate relative.

Additionally, more distant relatives of U.S. citizens or green card holders may also be able to apply for a family visa. However, these types of visas are limited and, in some cases, the wait times for these applications can range from two years to more than 20 years.

Family Green Cards

Spouses and other close relatives, including children, parents, and siblings, of citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for an immigrant visa based on their family relationship. To apply, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident must submit an I-130 application to the USCIS. One thing to keep in mind about tracking this type of family visa is that, though the application may be approved, your family member may still have to wait for visa availability before they can become a permanent resident.

Fiancée and Spouse Visas

Spouses and fiancées of U.S. citizens may also be able to apply for a family visa. Foreign citizens who intend to marry a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-1 fiancée visa while planning their wedding. To be eligible, the person applying for the fiancée visa must pass a medical exam. If the visa is granted, the applicant is required to travel to the U.S. within 180 days and must marry within 90 days. Once the U.S. citizen and visa holder are married, they can apply for a green card.

Those who are already married to a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-3 spouse visa. Prior to applying for the visa, the U.S. citizen must file a petition for his or her foreign spouse to live in the United States while the K-3 visa is being processed.

Visas for Children

Children of those who receive fiancée or spouse visas may also be able to apply for a visa to live in the United States. The children of K-1 visa holders must apply for a K-2 visa. The children of K-3 visa holders may be able to apply for a K-4 visa to live in the country.

If you are considering a family visa in the area, it may be beneficial to contact an immigration lawyer to ensure you complete the correct visa application for your situation. A Naperville lawyer may also be able to advise you on visa processing times and may be a vital resource regarding application tracking.

Contact an Attorney About Naperville Family Visa Application Tracking

If you have not yet submitted your family visa paperwork or you need help filling in the important information, you may want to consider engaging legal counsel. Even if you have already submitted your application, it is not too late to call an attorney for help. An experienced Naperville attorney may be able to help you track your family visa application if you have not heard back from the immigration department and address any reason for delay. Call today to learn more.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association