We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

For same-sex couples in Oak Brook, the immigration concerns felt when attempting to immigrate to the United States are often stressful. Understandably, some immigrants may feel overwhelmed and would rather not try their luck when petitioning the USCIS for a visa or green card.

However, with the help of an experienced attorney, you could put your worries and concerns about obtaining a visa, green card, or legal permanent residency (LPR) at ease. Reach out to an experienced immigration lawyer today.

How Marriage to a U.S. Citizen Could Help Someone Qualify for LPR

Being married to a U.S. citizen might help someone qualify for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status, because it allows him or her to have an immediate visa available or to be considered an immediate family member of the U.S. citizen. That basically means that applicants do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available. They would only need to wait for the process of times. For people that are not married, they may want to consider a fiancé(e) visa.

K-1 Visas

A K-1 visa is also known as a fiancé(e) visa. It is a visa that could be used by same-sex couples and any couple that is with a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident family member when asked for the beneficiary to come to the United States to get married.

Once beneficiaries arrive in the United States, they have to marry within 90 days of entry, but that allows the couple to move forward with an adjustment of status. An LGBTQ immigration lawyer could help same-sex couples in Oka Brook with immigration concerns apply for that K-1 visa through the use of Form I-129F.

Required Documentation When Applying

The documentation the LGBTQ individuals should have available when applying for a K-1 visa, filing Form I-129F, includes their passports, birth certificates, and documents showing the termination of previous marriages or relationships. They would need to put together an intent to get married letter on both parties.

Applicants and their spouses would need to have financial documents to show that the petitioner could help the beneficiary once they come to the United States, so that they would not become a public burden. Additionally, individuals want to also include documentation to show the relationship and how it has progressed. For same-sex couples in Oak Brook with immigrations concerns, speaking to a lawyer could ease the worry felt by this daunting process.

How Children Affect the Process

Concerns for same-sex couples or individuals with children when attempting to obtain lawful permanent residency would be that the children need their own applications that would need to be filed by the U.S. citizen or the U.S. citizen family member or the petitioner. Each of those children would also need to have their own separate case that would be tracked by a retained immigration attorney.

Unique Concerns LGBTQ Individuals Face

Some unique concerns LGBTQ individuals face when applying for lawful permanent residency are whether they may have applied in the past and been turned down in the past under federal law. Some of the other issues have to do with whether or not their family members or friends know about their relationship with their spouse or their significant other and putting together the correct evidence so that the government could approve the case.

In some instances when people have not told their families, it would take some unique experiences of a lawyer to prepare for an interview and to prepare the marriage bona fides so that the case could be approved.

Speak to an Attorney About Your Immigration Concerns

For same-sex couples in Oak Brook, the immigration concerns you or your fiancé(e) may have could be set aside when you choose to retain the services of an attorney with unique case experience like this. Reach out to an attorney today and ask the questions that you need answers to.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association