We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

68% Rise In International Students: Do You Want to Attend University in Illinois?

68% Rise In International Students: Do You Want to Attend University in Illinois?

The number of international students studying in the United States dropped significantly during the pandemic. The number of international students at U.S. universities dropped by 15%, in 2019/20 and the number of new international students dropped by 45.6%. With the reopening of U.S. borders and a change in immigration policies that is more welcoming to foreign students, the U.S. is again looking like an attractive option for international students.

The Open Doors 2021 report shows a 68% rise in new first-time international enrollments in the 2021/22 school year.

Are You A Foreign Student Who Wants to Attend University In Illinois?

Student Visas:

Whether you are in a student exchange program or studying full-time at an American academic or vocational school, you need to obtain a visa before you are allowed to enter the United States. A student visa is required to study in the United States. Foreign nationals may not enroll as a student after entering the U.S. on a B visitor visa or through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), except to take a recreational study non-credit class as part of a tourist visit.

F Student Visa
F visas are non-immigrant student visas that allow foreigners to pursue grammar school, high school, college and other educational and training programs in the United States. F-1 students must maintain a full course of study.

M Student Visa
M visas are for nonacademic or vocational studies. M-1 visa holders are not allowed to work during their studies. M-1 student visa applicants must have proof that sufficient funds are available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their course and stay in the United States.

J Student Visa
J-1 visas are for nonimmigrants participating in exchange programs such as short-term scholars and university students.

A student visa immigration attorney can help you apply for a student visa, and avoid the simple mistakes or missed deadlines that can lead to your application being denied.

Contact an Experienced  Cook or Dupage County Student Visa Attorney

It can be confusing for international students to apply and receive their student visas in a timely manner to attend their course of study. Mario Godoy and the other experienced immigration attorneys at the Godoy Law Office can assess your situation and advise you on your best options to apply for a student visa. Call today at 630-912-0322.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association