We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

American Universities Want Hispanic Students | Chicago Immigration Latino Students in front of an American flag: Lawyer | Godoy Law Firm

American Universities Want Hispanic Students

American universities are trying to attract the best Latino students. The overall college student population has fallen in recent years, but the percentage of Hispanic students at secondary education institutions has risen from 31% in 2010 to about 37% in 2018, the most recent year for which federal data is available, which is why American universities want Hispanic students, according to a study by USAToday.

As college enrollment declines, higher education institutions are actively recruiting more Hispanic students – and the funds and programs that support them:

• Illinois Governor Pritzker signed the RISE Act (Public Act 101-0021) in June to help low-income undocumented students afford college by permitting Illinois public universities to award them financial aid.

• The Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSI) Division of the federal U.S. Department of  Education “provides grant funding to institutions of higher education to assist with strengthening institutional programs, facilities, and services to expand the educational opportunities for Hispanic Americans and other underrepresented populations.”

College for Undocumented Students

Undocumented students are legally entitled to apply to most public colleges in the United States. Undocumented students may not be eligible for federal financial aid, in-state tuition rates, or other advantages of students who have permanent citizenship.

• Many states allow undocumented students to take advantage of in-state tuition rates if they meet the eligibility requirements, such as length of in-state residency

• Northeastern Illinois has an administrator dedicated to helping undocumented students

TheDream.US provides a national scholarship worth up to $14,500 for an associate degree and $29,000 for a bachelor’s degree. The scholarship is renewable each year and can include an additional annual stipend of $1,000 for books, supplies and transportation.

Student Visas for Foreign Latinos

You must have a student visa to study in the United States. The course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F visa or an M visa. Foreign nationals may not enroll as a student after entering the U.S. on a B visitor visa or through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), except to take a recreational study non-credit class as part of a tourist visit. Foreign Latinos who want to attend university in the United States can only work part-time, they have to maintain a full course load and they must prove they can pay for tuition and living costs.

It can be confusing for international students to apply and receive their student visas in a timely manner to attend their course of study. Mario Godoy and the other experienced immigration attorneys at the Godoy Law Office can assess your situation and advise you on your best options to apply for a student visa. Call today at 855-554-6369.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association