We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Watch Chicago Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy on YouTube

Can I Sponsor My In-Laws For A Green Card?

I have a Green Card. Can I sponsor my in-laws for a Green Card?

Unfortunately, if you are a Legal Permanent Resident – a Green Card Holder – you cannot sponsor your inlaws to become Green Card holders. But the good news is your spouse can become a Green Card holder and later a U.S. citizen, then they can sponsor his or her parents to also become Green Card holders!

Family unity has been one of the primary goals of immigration policy in the United States. A Green Card holder can file a visa petition to bring family members to the United States, an action often known as sponsoring a family member.

Sponsoring Your Spouse for a Green Card

United States immigration law allows certain foreigners who are family members of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to become lawful permanent residents (get a Green Card) based on their family relationships. Immediate relatives, such as a spouse, have the highest preference in the U.S. immigration system.

Sponsoring Your Parents for a Green Card

To apply for a Green Card for immediate relatives such as parents who are eligible can apply for a Green Card without being constrained by the annual immigration limits, but the processing time can vary.

To apply for a Green Card for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as Green Card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Green Card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to sponsor their parents to live permanently in the United States.

Watch: Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy explains, How to get a Green Card for your parents

Chicago Family Green Card Attorney

The process of obtaining a Green Card for your spouse or parents can be complex and competitive. To help ensure that every step in the visa application process is completed to give the applicant the best opportunity for a speedy and successful outcome, a skilled immigration attorney can put their experience to work for you and review your circumstances to help you make the decisions to help you succeed. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 630-912-0322.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association