We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

How To Apply For a Green Card For Your Father

Does Your Father Want A Green Card?

Are you waiting for the right time to reunite your family and help your father achieve his American Dream? This year, for Father’s Day, give your father security: Help your father obtain his citizenship or green card. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a green card (lawful permanent residence) for your father if you are at least 21 years old.

Green Cards for Parents: Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

U.S. immigration law defines parents of U.S. citizens as immediate relatives and gives parents preferences over other family-based immigration petitions. Immediate relative applicants do not have annual immigration limits or caps, but the processing time can vary. Filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, requests that the government recognize your relationship with your non-citizen parent and also requests that a visa be reserved.

Documentation Required to Prove They Are Your Parents

USCIS will require documentation to prove that your parents are in fact your parents, including:

  • A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and both parents’ names
  • A copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport if you were not born in the United States
  • A copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate
    • If your parents were not married, you will need to provide proof of a financial or emotional relationship with your father

An experienced green card lawyer can help you provide the required documentation to prove your I-130 petition, and guide you through the process of sponsoring a parent for a green card.

Can Green Card Holders Petition for their Parents to Get a Green Card?

Only U.S. citizens can petition for their parents to become green card holders. If you are a green card holder and want to help your parents become lawful permanent residents also, you can apply to be naturalized to become a U.S. citizen. A citizenship and naturalization attorney can advise and guide you on naturalization.

Watch: Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy Explains How to Apply For a Green Card For Your Father

Cook and DuPage County Immigration Attorney

To ensure that every step of your immigration process has the best opportunity for a successful outcome, a skilled immigration attorney can put their experience to work for you and review your circumstances to help you make the decisions to help you succeed. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 630-912-0322.

Se habla español. 

Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association