We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

have you moved be sure to update your address with USCIS | godoy law office immigration lawyers

Have You Moved? Be Sure To Update Your Address With USCIS

You are allowed to move while living in the United States on a green card or other visa but don’t forget to update your address with USCIS. Immigrants who have been staying in the United States for more than 30 days must notify U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of any changes to their address. Each family member, including children, should file a separate notification.

It is important to keep USCIS informed of any changes in your address if you are an immigrant who has been residing in the United States for a period of 30 days or more, as well as each family member, including children.

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not change your address with USCIS. To ensure that nothing delays your immigration process, notify USCIS of any changes quickly.

Who Needs To File An Address Change With USCIS?

To ensure that the USCIS remains aware of your current location and that no delays occur in processing your immigration paperwork:

  • Temporary visa holders are required to notify USCIS within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. With some exceptions for A and G visa holders.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen who has sponsored an immigrant by filling out Form I-864, officially known as an “Affidavit of Support,” you should notify USCIS within 30 days of any change in address.
  • All immigrants visiting and living in the United States for more than 30 days who move to a new address should submit a separate address change notification for each family member, including children.

It’s also vital to tell your immigration attorney if you’ve moved and changed your address. Do this so there are no delays that could hurt your case.

How To Update Your Address With USCIS

To file an address change with USCIS, you can update your existing USCIS online account or submit Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, online or by mail.

Do You Need An Immigration Attorney?

An experienced immigration lawyer knows and understands current immigration laws. And we can assist you with achieving your American Dream by helping you spot potential roadblocks in your background that can derail your application. Experienced immigration attorneys can save you money, time and stress. If USCIS denies your application or there is a misunderstanding, your lawyer can help clarify and resolve the miscommunication.

The skilled immigration lawyers at Godoy Law Office can answer any questions about immigration. And we can guide you through every step of the citizenship process. Call us today at 630-912-0322.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association