We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Watch Chicago Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy on YouTube

How To Apply For a Green Card For Your Parents

Family unity has been one of the primary goals of immigration policy in the United States. A Green Card holder can file a visa petition to bring family members to the United States, an action often known as sponsoring a family member. To apply for a Green Card for Immediate relatives such as parents who are eligible can apply for a Green Card without being constrained by the annual immigration limits, but the processing time can vary.

To apply for a Green Card for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as Green Card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Green Card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to sponsor their parents to live permanently in the United States.

WATCH: Chicago Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy Explains How To Apply For a Green Card for Your Parents


In this video, we are going to discuss applying for a green card for parents.

Under the immigration law, a United States citizen is eligible to apply for a green card for his or her parents.

In general here are some of the documentary requirements

If you are applying for a green card for your mother. Then you will likely need a birth certificate listing your name and your mom’s name.

Applying for a green card for your father is a little more elaborate. If your parents were married at the time of your birth then you need to submit a birth certificate with your name and your father’s name. You will also need to file your father and mother’s marriage certificate.

If your parents were not married at your birth then you will need to file proof that your father and mother were married while you were under 18 years old. Otherwise, you need to file proof that your relationship with your father was established under the laws of where you lived while you were under 18.

If you need help filing a petition on behalf of your parent please call us for a consultation.

Chicago Family Green Card Attorney

The process of obtaining a Green Card for your parents can be complex and competitive. To help ensure that every step in the visa application process is completed to give the applicant the best opportunity for a speedy and successful outcome, a skilled immigration attorney can put their experience to work for you and review your circumstances to help you make the decisions to help you succeed. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 855-554-6369.  


Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association