We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Student and American Flag: How Do I Get a Student Visa? | Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy | Godoy Law Office

Will Foreign Students Be Permitted in the US For Fall Semester?

Many U.S. colleges and universities rely on foreign students – and their tuition. The coronavirus (COVID-19) international travel restrictions will prevent many foreign students from entering the United States to attend college. Restricting international students who want to attend U.S. colleges could cost $41 billion, and have severe negative consequences for American students.

The Trump administration has been making it more difficult for foreign students to pass the visa application process for the past few years. The U.S. issued 17% fewer student visas, called F-1s, in 2019, and fell by 6.6% during the 2017-18 academic year – down 40% from 2015.

On April 22, 2020, President Trump announced a 60-day immigration suspension of entry into the United States to protect American jobs during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. A key exception to the immigration suspension is guest worker visas for students.

Are You A Foreign Student Who Wants to Attend University In Illinois?

The 60-day green card immigration suspension may have a loophole for students:

The immigration suspension does not apply to immigrants already in the United States, nor to those seeking temporary visas, including students or guest workers. 

Student Visas:

A student visa is required to study in the United States. Foreign nationals may not enroll as a student after entering the U.S. on a B visitor visa or through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), except to take a recreational study non-credit class as part of a tourist visit.

F Student Visa
F visas are non-immigrant student visas that allow foreigners to pursue grammar school, high school, college and other educational and training programs in the United States. F-1 students must maintain a full course of study.

M Student Visa
M visas are for nonacademic or vocational studies. M-1 visa holders are not allowed to work during their studies. M-1 student visa applicants must have proof that sufficient funds are available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their course and stay in the United States.

Godoy Law Firm’s business immigration attorneys can help with a wide range of healthcare professionals and employers, including hospitals, nursing homes, physicians, registered nurses, physical therapists, medical technologists, occupational therapists, nursing assistants.

Benefits International Students Bring to U.S. Universities

• More foreign students pay full tuition than American students, which subsidizes additional space for domestic students and actually increases domestic enrollment

• Foreign students contributed $41 billion and hundreds of thousands of jobs to the American economy in 2018-2019

• International studies programs attract the best students from around the world to U.S. universities and enhance the reputation of many colleges

Learn More:

How Do I Get a Student Visa?

It can be confusing for international students to apply for and receive their student visas in a timely manner to attend their course of study. Mario Godoy and the other experienced immigration attorneys at the Godoy Law Office can assess your situation and advise you on your best options to apply for a student visa. Call today at 855-554-6369.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association