We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Green Cards for Military Families: Army Officer's Mother Deported

Army Officer’s Mom Deported: Green Cards for Military Families

Photo courtesy of CNN

A United States Army officer reports he “feels betrayed” after his mother was deported to Mexico. CNN reports 2nd Lt. Gibram Cruz flew home for the holidays because he was afraid it would be their last Christmas together, and due to military restrictions he is unable to travel to Mexico to visit her. CNN said that Cruz previously “applied to a program that protects relatives of active US military members from deportation, but the request was denied,” according to family members; CNN is working to confirm the reason for the denial. A special USCIS program is in place to provide green cards for military families.

Military Moms Deserve To Stay

Family members of Cruz’s mother held protests and a press conference to bring attention to her situation. Lt. Cruz was ordered to report to Fort Hood in Texas on Friday, where he has 3 more years left to serve in the U.S. Military.

Green Cards for Military Families

Family members of active military, the Reserves, National Guard, and veterans who are in the United States as undocumented immigrants can apply for a green card through a process called Parole in Place. Non-United States parents, spouses and children under age 21 of active duty military, veterans, and current and former Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve may be eligible.

What Is Parole in Place?

Parole in Place is a great benefit to military families who do not need the additional stress and separation while serving their country. Previously, undocumented family members would have to leave the country to apply for a green card. Parole in Place results in the family member being paroled – making him or her eligible for adjustment of status.

Naturalization Through Military Service

Current members and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who are not already U.S. citizens are eligible for expedited naturalization by completing an N-400 application. Special provisions in the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act enable people who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces to apply for naturalization to become citizens of the United States. Applicants must ensure that they meet the requirements and that they are able to demonstrate fulfillment of the qualifications.

Military service members who want help applying for green cards for military families should seek guidance from an experienced immigration and naturalization attorney if they have a question or need help with the process.The immigration attorneys at Godoy Law Office in Chicago and Lombard can help you with your immigration case. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office or call us at 855-554-6369.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association