We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

There are many types of visas that allow you to travel to or reside in the United States for a specified amount of time. However, many of these visa options do not allow you to work while you are in the country. One of the major exceptions is employment-based visas. These permits, while varied, allow you to work at a job while residing in the U.S. A skilled immigration attorney could help with applying for the right one.

There are challenges that come with this type of visa, but a skilled immigration attorney could help with applying for the right one. A Berwyn employment-based immigration lawyer could help you submit your application and negotiate with government agencies.

Common Types of Employment Visas

The appropriate employment-based visa for a foreign national’s circumstances might not be immediately obvious because there are multiple options that individuals can use as a work permit.

In general, work visas are either temporary or non-temporary. As the name suggests, a person with a temporary work visa can only stay in the country for a set period of time before they are required by law to leave. In some cases, this time period can be extended.

Meanwhile, non-temporary visas often a person to remain in the country on an open-ended basis. They still need to renew their visa periodically, but there is no firm date where they are required to leave. Many of these types of visas also provide workers a pathway to citizenship in the United States. One of the benefits of hiring a Berwyn attorney for this process is that they can be certain to apply for the right type of employment visa.

What is Adjustment of Status?

Many non-citizens who live and work in the United States want to remain in the country indefinitely, with some even hoping to become a citizen or lawful permanent resident. Anyone seeking to change their current immigration status to remain in the country can typically do so without having to first return to their home country and apply, all thanks to a process known as adjustment of status.

Adjustment of status involves swapping out one immigration status for another. For example, a person who is a lawful permanent resident under an employment-based visa could try and adjust his or her status and become a U.S. citizen. When a foreign national believes he or she can take advantage of this process after residing in the country under an employment-based visa, he or she can work with an experienced lawyer in Berwyn to maximize the potential of his or her immigration case.

Avoiding Pitfalls with Employment Immigration

A number of challenges can arise during the process of securing an employment-based immigration permit. These visas are particularly complex, as applicants must typically be sponsored by a prospective employer before they can proceed. This employer plays an important role in the visa application process. In fact, the employer usually needs to take the first step and initiate an application on their employee’s behalf.

This requirement can, unfortunately, lead to delays that complicate an immigrant’s case process. On top of miscommunications or delays involving an employer’s part of the process, problems with USCIS and standard immigration procedures can also impact one’s ability to secure a work-based visa or permit. Thankfully, avoiding these pitfalls can be easier with the help of a Berwyn employment-based immigration attorney.

Contact a Berwyn Employment-Based Immigration Attorney Today

If you plan on navigating the immigration system and obtaining an employment-based visa, it is good to have help on your side. An experienced attorney could make a tremendous difference in the outcome of your case.

Do not risk your visa and your future prospects by applying alone. Contact a Berwyn employment-based immigration lawyer today to learn more about your options for securing the permit you need.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association