We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

How To Apply For a Green Card For Your Father

How To Apply For a Green Card For Your Father

Many U.S. Green Card holders want to help their parents get a Green Card and join them in the United States. To apply for a Green Card for your father to live in the United States as a Green Card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Green Card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to sponsor their father to live permanently in the United States. You must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative to request that the government recognize your family relationship with your father for a family-based visa.

Family unity is one of the primary goals of immigration policy in the United States. A Green Card holder can file a visa petition to bring family members to the United States, an action often known as sponsoring a family member. Mothers and Fathers of U.S. citizens are categorized as “Immediate Relative,” but have to undergo regular petition and application processing times until they are granted a Green Card. To apply for a Green Card for Immediate Relatives applicants are not constrained by the annual immigration limits, but the processing time can vary.

It is important to speak to a qualified immigration attorney who can advise you on any grounds of inadmissibility or other potential pitfalls prior to filing your application.

WATCH: Chicago Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy Explains How to Apply For a Green Card For Your Father


In this video, we are going to discuss applying for a Green Card for your mother.

Under immigration law, a United States citizen is eligible to apply for a Green Card for his or her mother. The citizen must be at least 21 years old to file the immigrant visa petition.

If you are applying for a Green Card for your mother, then you will likely need a birth certificate listing your name and your mom’s name.

At that point then you will need to consider Consular Processing outside of the United States or an Adjustment of Status in the United States, depending on how your mother entered the United States.

If you need help filing a petition on behalf of your mother please call us for a consultation.

Chicago Immigration Attorney

To ensure that every step of your immigration process has the best opportunity for a successful outcome, a skilled immigration attorney can put their experience to work for you and review your circumstances to help you make the decisions to help you succeed. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 855-554-6369.  

Se habla español. 

Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association