Tom Steyer, a Democrat candidate running for United States President in the 2020 elections, announced his immigration plan and priorities if elected president on January 10. Steyer’s immigration plan includes a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants in the country and a restoration of Obama-era protections for young illegal immigrant “Dreamers.”
Steyer posted his immigration plan on his website, saying:
America is a story of migration and promise. Unless an individual is native to this land or had their ancestors forcibly brought here in slavery, there was a moment in each American’s family history when an ordinary individual made the serious, hopeful, and courageous decision to come to America.
• Use executive action to reinstate DACA, enact DAPA, revitalize TPS, and end the Muslim travel ban.
• Work with Congress to create a pathway to citizenship for undocumented Americans.
• Reform ICE, CBP, and USCIS to reflect our values and culture.
• End family separation and cruel detention policies.
• Reform interior enforcement so that communities can live without fear.
• Support immigrants who have served in America’s Armed Forces.
• Appropriately resource federal agencies that provide administrative immigration services.
• Reform the immigration courts.
• Preserve and prioritize family-based immigration as a core value in our immigration system.
• Increase transparency and fairness in the visa adjudication process.
• Work with universities, research labs and the private sector to recruit and retain talented thinkers and builders from around the world.
• Protect Farmworkers.
• Refocus border enforcement on national security.
The immigration attorneys at Chicago’s Godoy Law Office fight for the rights of immigrants in Illinois and help immigrants navigate the complex and numerous immigration policies, procedures, and regulations. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 855.554.6369.