We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

What Are The Requirements for an E-2 Treaty Visa

What Are The Requirements for an E-2 Treaty Visa

The basic requirements for an E-2 treaty visa are that at least 50% of the U.S. business is owned by people or companies from your country of citizenship, and your home country must have a trade treaty with the United States. An E- 2 treaty investor visa allows someone to enter and work in the United States based on a business investment they will be controlling while they are in the United States.

What Is An E-2 Visa?

An E-2 visa, formerly known as an investor visa, is a non-immigrant visa for individuals who do not intend to permanently live in the United States. The purpose of the E-2 visa is to increase commerce and available jobs in the U.S. through foreign citizens that have made a substantial investment in a new business or who are purchasing an existing business.

The qualifications and conditions of an E-2 treaty visa vary dependent on your country of origin. There are 6 basic requirements to qualify for an E-2 treaty visa.

Qualifications for an E-2 Treaty Visa

1. The E-2 visa applicant must be from one of over 30 countries that has a relevant treaty with the United States.

2. The applicant must own at least 50% of the company or it must be 50% owned by nationals from the applicant’s country of origin.

3. The applicant must be an owner or key employee who is essential to running the U.S. business in the E-2 application.

4. The applicant must have a substantial investment in the business.

5. The U.S. business must be viable and actively engaged in business and create jobs for Americans, and not just a source of income for the applicant.

6. The applicant must intend to leave the U.S. when the visa expires. E-2 visas are valid for 2 years and can be extended.

Family of E-2 Visa Holders

An E-2 visa may also cover the applicant’s spouse and immediate family members such as unmarried children under the age of 21.

DuPage and Cook County Business Immigration Lawyer

If you have investment visa or business immigration visa questions contact our Illinois immigration attorneys s at 630-912-0322. 

AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association