The P Work Visa for Artists, Athletes and Entertainers
A short-term U.S. P work visa is for outstanding athletes, athletic teams and entertainment companies with a job offer from a U.S. employer. It is a non-immigrant employment visa that permits internationally recognized celebrity foreign nationals to temporarily live and work in the United States.
P Visa Classifications
P visa classifications are as follows:
• P-1 is for individual or team athletes, or members of an entertainment group (P-1B) that are internationally recognized. A maximum of 25,000 P visas are issued annually.
• P-2 are available to artists or entertainers who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program.
• P-3 is for artists or entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique.
• P-4 visas are for the spouse, or child under the age of 21, of a P-1, P-2 or P-3 foreign national and who is accompanying or following to join the visa holder.
Individual artists, athletes and entertainers cannot obtain a P-1 visa, it is for a group. An individual artist will typically apply for an O-1 visa to temporarily live and work in the United States.
FAQs About P Visas
• How long can someone stay in the US on a P visa?
Individuals and groups on a P-1 visa can stay in the US for 5 years, and apply for an extension for up to a total of 10 years.
Individuals on a P-3 visa can stay in the US for 1 year, and apply for a 1 year extension.
• What are P1A and P1B visas?
A P1A visa is for internationally recognized athletes or athletic teams.
A P1B visa is for individuals or members of an internationally recognized entertainment group.
• What are the qualifications for a P visa?
To qualify for a P visa, internationally recognized athletes must have participated in and received an award in an international or US sport.
To qualify for a P visa, internationally recognized entertainment groups and artists must have major international success such as high box office sales, high salary, international press and recognition from their peers.
Illinois Business Immigration Attorney
Godoy Law Office provides business immigration law counsel and representation for both employers and employees in all immigration law contexts. Many businesses obtain a competitive edge by recruiting foreign professionals for positions in their American companies. Likewise, many foreign business entrepreneurs and professionals pursue a better life for their families in coming to live and work in the United States.
Our experienced immigration attorneys assist businesses and foreign celebrities and professionals achieve their goals through employment-based and entrepreneur-based visas. Contact Godoy Law Office at 630-912-0322.