We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

REAL ID-Compliant Identification Delayed

Real ID Deadline Extended – Again

If you’re considering air travel in the near future, you’ll want to know that the federal government has extended the Real IID deadline – again! The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has extended the requirement to have a Real ID as identification for domestic travel from October 1, 2021, to May 3, 2023. Due to the pandemic, many state driver’s license facilities are backlogged. DHS said this has “significantly limited states’ capacity to issue Real ID-compliant drivers licenses and identification cards.” The extended deadline will allow people who were not able to get a new compliant driver’s license due to COVID closure to be able to travel again.

What Is A Real ID?

Real ID and TSA Pre-Check are two of the 9/11 Commission’s travel safety recommendations to the federal government. Many US travelers use their driver’s licenses as their form of identification. To see if your state driver’s license or identification card is Real ID-compliant check if there is a gold star in the upper right-hand corner. Some state departments of motor vehicles confirm Real ID status online.

To get a Real ID-compliant state driver’s license, DHS requires applicants to provide documentation that shows their full legal name, their date of birth, their Social Security Number, two proofs of address of principal residence and lawful status. Each state may impose additional identification requirements.

According to the TSA website, all of these are Real ID travel-compliant:

  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler card (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued enhanced driver’s license – with the gold star
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services employment authorization card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States.

DuPage County Immigration Lawyer

If you have a question about immigration, contact Mario Godoy and the immigration attorneys at Godoy Law Office at 630-912-0322.  

AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties



Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association