We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

faq: when does my time as a permanent resident begin | godoy law office immigration lawyers

FAQs: When Does My Time As a Permanent Resident Begin?

If you are not a U.S. citizen, your authorized period of residency in the United States must have an official starting date and ending date. Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status and your immigrant visa was approved. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card, also called a green card.

  • If you interviewed at a U.S. embassy or consulate, it is the date that you entered the United States with your immigrant visa.
  • If you adjusted your status inside the United States, it is the date that USCIS approved your permanent resident status.

On your green card, your time as a permanent resident is listed as Resident Since: XX/YY/20ZZ.  The date you were granted permanent residence will also be the date on your I-797 Notice of Action approval notice or consular letter that granted your permanent resident status.

Why Do I Need to Track My Time As A Permanent Resident?

You need to track your time as a permanent resident to change or renew your status:

  •  If you are applying for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen based on five years as a permanent resident or based on three years as a permanent resident married to a U.S. citizen, you will need to prove 5 years have passed since your green card was issued.\
  • If you are a conditional resident through recent marriage to a U.S. citizen or through an investor visa, your two years as a conditional resident count as permanent residence.
  • Leaving the United States without pre-approval may be considered as abandoning your green card application, and travel abroad without pre-approval may lengthen the time period before you can apply for naturalization.

DuPage County Naturalization Attorney

It can be overwhelming to manage your immigration application. To qualify for naturalization to become a U.S. citizen, it is critical that no deadlines are missed, all documents are correctly submitted, fees are paid and that you meet the most recent USCIS requirements and exceptions to immigration guidelines. Talk to the experienced immigration attorneys at Godoy Law Office at 630-912-0322.

AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office Immigration Lawyers serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties.



Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association