We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

The U.S. Census Bureau reports that more than 600,000 veterans reside in Illinois, some of whom are not yet citizens and wish to pursue naturalization. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) offers a process to military personnel in Aurora seeking naturalization through military duty.

Service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or National Guard could help you create a path to citizenship for yourself, and in some cases for your family as well. If you served honorably for a minimum of one year during a conflict or peacetime, speak with a knowledgeable attorney to learn how you could be eligible to become a naturalized U.S. citizen.

Naturalization Through Personal Military Service

Many armed forces agencies have an assigned liaison who could assist with the naturalization process. He or she may often be located in the branch’s community service center.
The military path toward citizenship begins with the completion of several documents, some of which also apply to nonmilitary persons. Individuals in Aurora who are interested in attaining naturalization through military service should consult an immigration attorney to learn their rights.

Military Naturalization Forms

A military veteran who applies for naturalization must begin by completing an N-400 form, which is the standard application for citizenship. He or she must also have an N-426 form certified by his or her branch of the military. While an uncertified form is acceptable for an individual who has already separated from service, he or she would be required to complete additional forms and requirements.

Posthumous Naturalization for Service Members

Soldiers who have died after a minimum of one year in military service may be eligible for posthumous naturalization under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) §329A. Aurora residents seeking this type of citizenship on behalf of deceased military members must file Form N-644, which is the Application for Posthumous Citizenship. A grant of this type of naturalization may allow spouses and children to get citizenship and other survivor immigration benefits.

Naturalization for Aurora Military Spouses

The spouses of U.S. citizen soldiers may also seek naturalization under certain circumstances. If the spouse of the soldier is stationed abroad or soon will be out of the country, he or she may apply for expedited naturalization.

Expedited citizenship is decided on a case-by-case basis by the authority of INA §319(b). Requirements for expedited naturalization of military spouses include:

  • Being 18 years of age or older
  • Having a spouse who is a U.S. citizen and will be—or is—stationed abroad for one year or more
  • Having a green card and residing in the U.S.
  • Good-faith intent to reside abroad with the soldier
  • Ability to speak, read, and write in English
  • Knowledge of U.S. civics
  • Positive moral character

An Aurora attorney who is familiar with the process of naturalization through military duty could explain the requirements military spouces must meet to become citizens.

Naturalization and Benefits for Family of Aurora Soldiers

If a soldier is a U.S. citizen, his or her spouse may pursue naturalization for himself or herself and his or her children under INA §319(d). The same section dictates that families may pursue survivor immigration benefits if a family member died honorably during active duty status and achieved posthumous naturalization.

Discuss Naturalization Through Military Service in Aurora with a Dedicated Lawyer

You might be able to explore more than one path to naturalization through military service in Aurora. Given the number of required forms for soldiers and the families of military personnel, though, completing the paperwork and fulfilling other requirements can be confusing. Call an immigration lawyer today to discuss naturalization options for Aurora service members and their families.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association