We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Start the Sibling Green Card Process

April 10th is National Sibling Day: Start the Sibling Green Card Process

Are you a new U.S. citizen? Do you have a brother or sister living back home? April 10th is National Sibling Day. As a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor your brother or sister and their family for a sibling green card. A family-based green card allows a citizen who is at least 21 years old to sponsor a sibling to become a lawful permanent resident, known as a green card holder. United States immigration law allows certain foreigners who are family members of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to become lawful permanent residents (get a green card) based on their family relationships.

How to Apply For a Green Card For Your Brother or Sister

Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens can apply for a green card. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, must be filed to establish a valid family relationship between a sponsor and their sibling who wants a green card. A foreign sibling cannot apply for a green card if their sponsor has only a green card, the sibling sponsor must be a U.S. citizen:

• You can sponsor adopted siblings and half-siblings.
• You can sponsor siblings through a step-parent.
• USCIS will require documentation that proves your relationship with your brother or sister:

• A copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling’s birth certificate showing that you have at least one common parent such as:

• A copy of your valid U.S. passport, OR
• A copy of your U.S. birth certificate, OR
• A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad, OR
• A copy of your naturalization certificate, OR
• A copy of your certificate of citizenship

If you have any questions on the sibling green card application process, call our experienced family based immigration attorneys for a consultation.

WATCH: Chicago Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy explains, What is the family-based immigration preference system?

Chicago Sibling Green Card Attorney

The process of obtaining a family-based green card for a sibling can be complex and competitive. To help ensure that every step in the visa application process is completed to give the applicant the best opportunity for a speedy and successful outcome, a skilled immigration attorney can put their experience to work for you and review your circumstances to help you make the decisions to help you succeed. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact Godoy Law Office at 630-912-0322.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association