We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Citizenship FAQs: What Is The 5 Year Rule?

Citizenship FAQs: What Is The 5-Year Rule?

What Is The 5-Year Rule?

When people say the “5-year rule for citizenship,” they are usually referring to the continuous residence requirement that permanent residents must meet in order to be eligible to apply for naturalization (U.S. citizenship). To meet the 5-year rule, permanent residents must have resided continuously in the United States for at least 5 years immediately before the date they file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

There are a few exceptions to the 5-year rule. For example, permanent residents who are married to U.S. citizens only need to have resided continuously in the United States for at least 3 years before applying for naturalization. In that case, the permanent resident must have been married and also lived with their U.S. citizen spouse for those three years.

The 5-year rule ensures that permanent residents have a strong attachment to the United States and intend to make it their permanent home. Permanent residents who meet the 5-year rule are generally considered to have met the requirement for continuous residence for naturalization purposes.

Suppose you are a permanent resident and are considering applying for naturalization. In that case, it is important to speak with an experienced immigration attorney. You can discuss your specific situation and whether you meet the requirements for naturalization.

Benefits Of Citizenship

Naturalization to become a U.S. Citizen can bring many rights and privileges, such as voting in elections and becoming eligible for certain government jobs. There are also financial benefits associated with becoming a United States citizen. Understanding all the rights and responsibilities associated with becoming a United States citizen is important before applying for naturalization.

Download Our Free Guide: 10 Benefits Of Becoming A U.S. Citizen: Free Guide

citizenship faqs does being unemployed prevent me from becoming a us citizen | godoy law office immigration lawyers

Do You Want to Become a U.S. Citizen? Talk To A Citizenship Lawyer

The immigration attorneys at Godoy Law Office work with you. We will evaluate your immigration status and guide you in your journey to becoming a U.S. citizen. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 630-912-0322. 

We help clients in all 50 states.


Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association