We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

FAQs: What Is a Visitor Visa? | Immigration Attorney Mario Godoy

FAQs: What Is a Visitor Visa?

The easiest type of United States visa to get is a visitor visa such as a Business (B1) or Tourist (B2) visa. A visitor visa is a type of temporary visa that does not allow the holder to live permanently in the U.S. The visa will be granted to enter the U.S. temporarily for a specific amount of time and will expire at the end of that period.

Business Visa

A B-1 Business visa enables the holder to enter the U.S. temporarily to undertake activities such as meeting with business associates, attending conferences, negotiating contracts, and settling estates. To be eligible for a B-1 visa you can participate in commercial or professional business activities including:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Transiting through the United States: certain persons may transit the United States with a B-1 visa
  • Deadheading: certain air crewmen may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa

Tourist Visa

A B-2 Tourist visa permits the holder to enter the U.S. temporarily as a visitor and to do a wide variety of things, from visiting vacation destinations or spending time with family to undergoing medical procedures, participating in sports competitions and joining in social events.

  • Tourism
  • Vacation (holiday)
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course

Visitor visas do not enable the holder to:

  • Enroll in a course of study 
  • Work in any paid capacity 
  • Enter as a crewmember of a ship or aircraft 
  • Work in the press or information media 

If you need an experienced immigration attorney to help you get a tourist visitor visa or business visitor visa, please contact the immigration attorneys at Godoy Law Office at 855-554-6369 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys. 

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association