We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

if I am in removal proceeding can i renew my work authorization | godoy law office immigration lawyers

If I Am In Removal Proceedings, Can I Renew My Work Authorization?

Removal proceedings are administrative proceedings to determine an individual’s removability under United States immigration law. Removal proceedings are typically conducted in Immigration Court by an immigration judge. Yes, in some instances, you can either apply for the first time or renew your work authorization. If you are in removal proceedings, including an asylum case pending or a residency petition through employment, you are eligible for Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Work Authorization Renewal During Removal Proceedings

  • First, you must be eligible for work authorization in order to renew your Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Whether you are eligible will be determined based on the eligibility category that you are applying under. For example, some asylum seekers can apply for an employment authorization document. 
  • Second, you may have to pay the filing fee for your renewal application. The filing fee is currently $410. You may also need to pay for a separate biometrics fee.
  • Third, you must provide USCIS with all of the required documentation. This documentation may include your current EAD, Form I-765 application, Form I-94 arrival/departure record, and proof of identity.

If you have any questions about renewing your work authorization while you are in removal proceedings, you should consult with an immigration attorney with experience in U.S. deportation defense.

Deportation Defense Lawyer

There may be forms of relief and deportation defense that apply to your particular case. Therefore, assessing your situation with a competent and experienced deportation defense lawyer can help in the fight against deportation.

To discuss your case with a qualified attorney, contact Godoy Law Office today at 630-912-0322 for more information. An attorney can sit with you and thoroughly assess your case so you can confidently take your next steps.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association