We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

policy updates for naturalization of military members | godoy law office immigration lawyers

Policy Updates for Naturalization of Military Members

USCIS has revised Form N-426 (naturalization of military members) so current and former service members can apply for naturalization without providing excess information. USCIS has removed the need to submit duplicative requests of information from Form N-400 and official discharge documents. These can include the character of service or type of separation. The changes made by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services apply to all currently pending applications and to applications filed on or after March 22, 2023. The naturalization policy update for military members has removed the need to submit duplicative requests of information from Form N-400 and official discharge documents, such as the character of service or type of separation.

Form N-426 is only required from current service members, not separated or discharged service members. Applicants who are former military members seeking naturalization under INA 328 or 329 do not need to include Form N-426 in their application. Instead, they must submit a copy of their Discharge Document (DD Form 214), National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service (NGB Form 22) or other official records reflecting their separation type and character of service.

What Is Form N-426 – The Naturalization of Military Members?

Form N-426 is an immigration form used to certify honorable military service during the naturalization process.

Are you a current or former military member who wants to become a U.S. Citizen?

Download Our Free Guide Naturalization for Non-Citizen Military Members

The information in our free guide will provide you with an overview of the special immigration benefits available for non-citizen military members. Don’t try to navigate the complicated USCIS immigration system alone. A simple mistake or missed deadline can cause your application to be delayed – or denied. Instead, an immigration lawyer with experience working with military members can answer your questions and help you achieve your American Dream.

Are You A Current Military Member Who Wants to Become A U.S. Citizen?
We Can Help

Contact Us when you’re ready to hire an immigration attorney. Mario Godoy and the experienced immigration lawyers at Godoy Law Office are here for you. Godoy Law Office offers assistance in immigration matters, including naturalization, business- and family-based visas, green cards and deportation defense. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office or call us at 630-912-0322.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association