We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

why do some college students need a citizenship certificate | godoy law office immigration lawyers

Why Do Some College Students Need A Citizenship Certificate?

Congratulations if you’re starting university in the fall. But be aware that if you’ve derived citizenship from your parents, some schools require that students submit a U.S. passport or N-600 certificate, Proof of Citizenship for U.S. Citizens. Ensuring that you meet all of the eligibility requirements for your school’s programs is important. It could delay or prevent your college enrollment and attendance if you don’t have all the required documents.  

What Is Derived Citizenship?

Derived citizenship is when a child born abroad to one or two U.S. citizens acquires automatic American citizenship at birth. It is different from natural-born citizenship. That is when a child born in the U.S. acquires automatic American citizenship at birth. 

If you’ve derived citizenship from your parents, you can file online with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to obtain your citizenship certificate.

Proof Of Citizenship By U.S. Passport: Request Your Passport ASAP

If you need to apply for a new passport or a passport renewal to verify you are a U.S. citizen as part of your college enrollment process, be aware that applications for new and renewal of U.S. passports are backlogged for months.

How To Apply for a Citizenship Certificate

You use Form N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, which is a document that serves as proof of citizenship for U.S. citizens who were born abroad or derived citizenship through their parents.

Once your application is approved, you will receive a Certificate of Citizenship as proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Do You Need An Immigration Attorney?

Experienced immigration attorneys can save you money, time and stress. An experienced immigration lawyer knows and understands current immigration laws. We can help you spot potential roadblocks that can delay or derail your application. We can make sure your application has all the required documents and that you complete the process correctly the first time.

The skilled immigration lawyers at Godoy Law Office can answer any questions about immigration and guide you through every step of the citizenship process. Call us today at 630-912-0322.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association