We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

The Violence Against Women Act—or VAWA—provides an array of rights to women that are citizens or residents of the United States. Additionally, it provides important protections to non-residents who have suffered abuse while in the U.S. The benefits of VAWA are never guaranteed and applying for the protection involves a complicated process.

If you are considering seeking protection under this law, you should meet with our team about VAWA application forms in Bolingbrook. There are several documents that must be supplied when applying, and a dedicated immigration attorney could help you track down all the information you need to succeed.

What Documents Do You Need to Apply for VAWA?

Like with most immigration processes, applying for resident status through VAWA involves many forms and documents. Typically, an immigrant will have to prepare a cover letter that outlines her reasons and qualifications for seeking protection under VAWA. With this cover letter, she should also include a document known as Form I-360.

Form I-360 is also known as a petition for a special immigrant. It is the document needed to begin the process of applying for VAWA and it is one of the only forms that needs to be submitted to the government. Form I-360 requires an address, but immigrants should avoid listing where they are staying. Instead, a woman could provide the address of her attorney.

When applying, it is also necessary to establish that one is eligible for VAWA status. This requires an immigrant to declare that she suffered abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or resident. If possible, it is helpful to include evidence that proves the abuser has permanent residency or citizenship here in the U.S. However, since that information is not always available, it is not mandatory.

When a person is abused by a spouse or a partner, it is not uncommon that they would want to seek residency in the U.S. for their children as well. This is also possible through VAWA. However, to do so, the immigrant must provide additional information during this process that shows her children are in the country and are not currently residents or citizens. A detail-oriented Bolingbrook attorney could help a woman gather this information and submit all the remaining documents needed to apply for VAWA.

Does VAWA Require Background Checks and Additional Requests?

Obtaining resident status through VAWA requires more than just completing a form. Every applicant that seeks protection through the program must go through a formal background check. Applicants must not only establish that they are of good moral character but also that they are not inadmissible under federal immigration law.

Meanwhile, in addition to the standard forms that are used in the VAWA application process, the government might request supplemental information. For example, they might want additional evidence of the abuse that an immigrant suffered. While tedious to collect, this new information could boost the chances of a positive case outcome. A seasoned Bolingbrook lawyer could keep a VAWA application on track by helping locate any necessary evidence.

Talk to an Attorney About VAWA Application Forms in Bolingbrook

If you are a non-resident who has suffered traumatic abuse while inside the United States, you should remember that you might be able to pursue protection through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

VAWA application forms in Bolingbrook can be a unique challenge, so it is important to work with our skilled legal team. A dedicated lawyer could assess the abuse in question, help you collect the evidence you need, and address any procedural concerns. Call today to get started.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association