Illinois lawmakers are considering creating a new task force on how to provide legal representation to Illinois immigrants facing deportation. The proposed Illinois task force would evaluate and recommend funds and service for legal help for immigrants facing deportation:
• determine how much legal services would cost
• provide recommendations by July 2022
• review the New York City Council’s 2013 pilot program to provide legal representation to detained immigrants
Chicago has some budgeted funds to support legal representation for immigrants facing deportation. In 2018, former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel launched the Legal Protection Fund. In 2019, Mayor Lori Lightfoot increased funding for the program by 20% for a total of $1.3 million, and in 2021 to $1.5 million.
Here are some important facts on deportation and legal representation in Illinois from research by TRAC at Syracuse University:
• In Illinois, 43% of the immigrants facing deportation don’t have a lawyer
• Chicago immigration court can take up to 1,039 days for a case to reach a final decision
• 2/3 of undocumented immigrants live in mixed-status families and the deportation will disrupt U.S. citizens
• detained immigrants who have a lawyer are 11 times more likely to win the removal case against them
Non-citizens and immigrants in the United States face the risk of removal or deportation for failing to adhere to proper protocol. Moreover, removal proceedings can be troubling, stressful, and time-consuming.
It’s important to consult an immigration lawyer as soon as possible about your deportation. If you are detained by ICE an immigration attorney can determine if you are eligible for an immigration bond. Your immigration attorney can represent you throughout the deportation process or removal proceedings.
It is the government’s duty to establish that they are a candidate for removal from the U.S. by clear and unequivocal evidence. If the government meets its burden of proof, you may be eligible to apply for any and all forms of relief from removal.
If you or a loved one faces the threat of deportation, it is important to remember that you are not alone. A skilled deportation defense lawyer can help you seek to resolve the threat of deportation.
A skilled deportation defense lawyer can help you resolve the threat of deportation and find ways to legally remain in the United States. Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties. To get started on your defense, call 312-579-0621 to schedule a consultation with one of the experienced immigration attorneys today. En Español.
To get started on your defense, call and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced deportation defense attorneys today.