We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

U-Visas are nonimmigrant visas available for those who are victims of crimes and willing to assist law enforcement in the prosecution of the crime. Individuals who are interested in obtaining a U-Visa in Oak Brook may want to reach out to a lawyer. A seasoned U-Visa attorney could help you through this process. Call today and set up a consultation.

Eligibility For Nonimmigrant Status

Federal law for U-Visa is the same for all states, however, state crimes could impact eligibility. Fortunately, a knowledgeable attorney could determine whether the state crime meets the federal definition of one of the qualifying criminal activities. Anyone could apply for U-visa or nonimmigrant status. The difference between the two is when the individual is applying in the United States, the person receives nonimmigrant status. If the person is outside the United States when making an application, he or she could obtain a U-visa.

Applying for Student and Work Visas

Individuals with a student visa could also apply for a U-visa using the same process since both the student visa and U-visa are non-immigrant visas. In these cases, the same parties are involved.

A person with a work visa could obtain a U-visa. The work visa depends on the type of visa the person obtained and is a separate visa. Both the work visa and the U-visa are nonimmigrant visas. A U-visa holder does not need a work visa since the U non-immigrant visa gives him or her the ability to work in the United States. If he or she wants to switch to a work visa, he or she could do so. He or she may be able to file for a change of status. The value of switching from a U visa to a work visa hinges on the facts of the specific situation.

How Long Does a U-Visa Last?

Once a person obtains a Oak Brook U-visa, it typically lasts four years. After three years of continuous physical presence in the United States on a U-visa, the person may apply for his or her U.S. residency to become a lawful permanent resident. To apply for an extension, the individual should ideally apply for a U-visa extension prior to the completion of his or her U-visa in the United States. If you have any questions regarding the length of a U-visa, reach out to an experienced attorney.

U-Visa Caps

When attempting to obtain a U-visa in Oak Brook, it is important to know that there is a cap of 10,000 per year. This means that only 10,000 U-visas are given out each year in the United States. Also, the demand for U-visas is much higher than the cap number. U-visa applicants may have to wait for an extended period of time for the application to be adjudicated. When the cap is hit and an applicant is deemed to have an approvable case, he or she is placed under deferred action.

An Attorney Could Help You with Obtaining a U-visa in Oak Brook

One of the benefits of obtaining a U-visa in Oak Brook is being allowed to work freely in the United States. After three years of having the U-visa, the individual may apply for legal permanent residence in the country.

If you would like to apply for a U-visa, reach out to an accomplished lawyer who could help you obtain one. An attorney could assist you with getting a law enforcement certification and filling out the application correctly. Contact us today and set up a consultation.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association