We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

What Is A TN Visa?

Can I Apply For A TN Visa In The United States?

If you are in the United States with current valid status you can apply for a change of status to a TN visa. However, if you intend to travel multiple times in and out of the United States it is advisable to consider applying from your home country. You can also make a TN visa application at a U.S. border Port of Entry. 

What Is a TN Visa?

A TN professional work visa is a temporary nonimmigrant work visa for citizens of Canada and Mexico. The TN Visa was created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to simplify and expedite temporary employment in the United States for approved Canadian and Mexican professional workers.

• A TN-1 is for Canadian professionals.

• A TN-2 is for Mexican professionals.

Under the NAFTA trade agreement, over 60 job professions. NAFTA has now been replaced by the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (U.S.MCA).

How to Apply For A TN Visa

 The basic required TN visa documentation required includes:

  • Proof of Mexican or Canadian citizenship
  • A written U.S. job offer detailing the professional capacity in which the employee will work in the United States, the purpose of the employment, the length of stay, and the applicant’s educational qualifications
  • Professional credentials (if applicable)
  • Any applicable fees

A TN visa is typically issued for up to 3 years but can be renewed.

Cook and DuPage County Business Immigration Attorneys

Godoy Law Firm’s business immigration attorneys can help foreign business professionals move to Illinois. Contact Godoy Law Office today at 630-912-0322 to answer your questions about immigration, help you file an immigration application and guide you through every step of the immigration process.  


Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association