We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Green Card renewals

Can You Renew A Conditional Green Card?

Many individuals receive a conditional green card, often based on marriage. You cannot renew a conditional green card and will lose your permanent resident status if you fail to seek a full green card. Failing to take action can lead to losing your permanent resident status altogether. To remove the conditions on your green card (permanent resident status), you must file a petition within the 90-day period before your conditional green card expires.

What Is A Conditional Green Card?

A conditional green card means you can live and work in the U.S., like any other green card holder, but for only two years before having to update your status again to a full, ten-year green card. Conditional green cards are designed to prevent fraud and abuse. If you received one based on marriage, it assumes your union is genuine.

How To Remove the Conditions On Your Conditional Green Card

Before your conditional green card expires, you must file a petition to remove the conditions. This involves gathering evidence and submitting the appropriate form:

  • Marriage-based:
    File Form I-751 within 90 days before expiration, demonstrating your bona fide marriage.

    • Track your expiration date: Mark your calendar 90 days beforehand to ensure timely filing.
    • Gather evidence: Depending on your case, this could include joint financial statements, tax returns, or business records.
    • Seek legal guidance: An immigration attorney can navigate the process and ensure your application is complete and accurate.

Consequences of Failing To File

Missing the deadline or failing to remove the conditions can have severe consequences:

  • Loss of permanent resident status: You may be placed in removal proceedings and forced to leave the U.S.
  • Difficulty re-entering: Obtaining a new visa or green card becomes significantly more challenging.
  • Impact on family: Spouses and children may also face immigration consequences.

Do You Have Questions About Your Conditional Green Card?

If you are married to a U.S. citizen and received a marriage visa with CR1 conditional status, contact the experienced immigration and green card attorneys at Godoy Law Office in Cook and DuPage Counties, Illinois, to advise you on your removal of conditions petition. Please contact our office or call us at 630-345-4164.

AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office Immigration Lawyers helps clients in all 50 states and has 3 offices in the Chicago, Illinois area.

We Help Immigrants Make America Their Home

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association