Parents take pride in setting an example for their children and protecting their families. It is important for an immigrant who is charged with a criminal offense and is a non-citizen to hire a criminal defense attorney with expertise in both immigration and criminal defense law. Non-citizens – including Green Card – holders who face criminal charges also can have serious immigration penalties – including deportation. Often called crimmigration, if you are an immigrant who is charged with a crime, it is important to hire an attorney who understands the immigration consequences of criminal convictions.
1. Immigration lawyers with experience in criminal defense understand the immigration consequences when an immigrant is charged with a crime, even if they are later found innocent.
2. The cases of immigrants charged with a crime may involve state agencies and many federal agencies such as ICE, CBP, USCIS, EOIR and the U.S. Attorney.
3. Legal permanent residents (Green Card holders) who are charged with a crime can be found to not have good moral character, face removal proceedings and can be deported.
4. Non-citizens who are charged with a crime have rights and protections, but not the same rights or protections as a citizen or legal permanent resident.
5. LPRs and non-citizens who are charged with DUIs and other offenses face serious immigration consequences and need an experienced deportation defense attorney.
Are you an immigrant in Illinois who was charged with a crime? You can protect your family and your American Dream by consulting an experienced crimmigration lawyer with experience in both immigration law and criminal defense. Even if you are found innocent of the criminal charges, without an experienced crimmigration lawyer on your side, your American Dream can be at risk.
If you or a loved one are an immigrant and are charged with a crime, call an attorney experienced in both criminal and immigration law. Our Illinois crimmigration attorneys and deportation defense lawyers at Godoy Law Office practice criminal defense and immigration law. Call the crimmigration lawyers at 630-912-0322.