We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Expedited EAD Processing for Healthcare Workers

Expedited EAD Processing for Healthcare Workers

Effective December 28, 2021, USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Service) will accept requests to expedite the processing of applications to renew Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for qualifying healthcare workers. Qualifying healthcare workers can request expedited issuance of their EAD if: 

• They have a pending EAD renewal application filed on Form I-765

• They have an EAD that expires within 30 days or less, or that has already expired 

Qualifying healthcare workers include individuals who provide direct patient care and support services, including but not limited to:

• Physicians
• Dentists
• Psychologists
• Mid level practitioners
• Nurses
• Emergency medical services personnel, assistants and aids
• Infection control and quality assurance personnel
• Phlebotomists
• Pharmacists
• Physical, respiratory, speech and occupational therapists and assistants
• Social workers
• Optometrists
• Speech pathologists
• Chiropractors
• Diagnostic and therapeutic technicians
• Radiology technologists 

How Healthcare Workers Can Request an Expedited EAD

All U.S. employers are required by law to have proof that employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are legally authorized to work in the United States. Non-citizens are required to have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) work permit to work in the United States while their permanent resident application is pending, or if they have a non-immigrant status visa such as an F-1 or M-1 student visa. 

EADs work permits are typically for one year and can be renewed. Over the past 2 years, processing times for EADs have increased considerably. Healthcare workers who need an expedited EAD are advised to contact USCIS by phone to request the expedite.

Expedited EAD processing does not ensure that an EAD will be approved.

  • The health care worker should be prepared to provide documentation and other evidence to support their request and current employment as a health care worker.
  • A decision on the expedite request is only a decision on whether the request whether the EAD will be expedited, not approval or denial of the EAD.

Cook County and DuPage County Immigration Lawyer

Godoy Law Office is an established immigration law firm in Chicago and Lombard, Illinois, with attorneys who are ready to review your situation and help your immigration case. If you need help with an immigration issue, please contact our office at 630-912-0322.

Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will, and Lake Counties.

Se habla español.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association