We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

Expired Green Card Travel Tip

Expired Green Card Travel Tip

USCIS reminds green card holders who plan to travel outside the country that if your green card is expiring and you have filed an I-90 to replace it, you can travel outside of the U.S. if you haven’t received your new green card yet. Present your expired card and I-90 receipt to Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) as evidence of your continued status.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is automatically extending the expired green cards for naturalization applicants beginning December 12, 2022. USCIS will automatically extend the validity of Permanent Resident Cards (commonly called green cards) for lawful permanent residents (LPR) who have applied for naturalization. Per USCIS, the I-90 receipt notice is now valid for 24 months instead of 12. This is true even if the receipt notice says 12 months.

Entering the U.S. With An Expired Green Card

To re-enter the United States, the Customs & Border Protection officer requires proof of your lawful permanent resident status. An expired green card is not considered valid proof. CBP issued updated guidance to airlines on April 9, 2021. This is regarding lawful permanent residents (LPRs or green card holders) attempting to board a flight to the United States with an expired green card during the pandemic when many USICS offices were closed or experiencing significant delays:

Call Us About Entering the U.S. With an Expired Green Card

An experienced immigration lawyer can prevent problems before they happen. They can also protect your rights and help you resolve your immigration problems. Godoy Law Office serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area, including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties. To get started on your case, call us at 630-912-0322 or reach out online to schedule a consultation with one of the experienced immigration attorneys today.  

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association