We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

FAQs: What is an N-600 Certificate of Citizenship? | Mario Godoy | Chicago Immigration Lawyer

FAQs: What is an N-600 Certificate of Citizenship?

An N-600 Certificate of Citizenship is proof of citizenship issued to a person born outside of the United States to a U.S. citizen parent. A Certificate of Citizenship may be required when you apply for benefits such as social security, IDs and licenses, financial aid, passports, and employment.

How to Apply for Form N-600 

  • You can file Form N-600 if you were born abroad and are claiming U.S. citizenship at birth through your parents.  
  • You can file Form N-600 to obtain evidence of citizenship if you automatically became a U.S. citizen by operation of law after your birth but before you turned 18 years of age.  
  • A parent or guardian may also file Form N-600 on behalf of a minor child. 

All N-600 Applicants Must Submit The Following Documents  

  • Two photographs (passport-style) of the applicant
  • The applicant’s birth certificate/record
  • Evidence of the parent’s U.S. citizenship
  • The parent’s birth certificate 

Immigration is fact-intensive and requirements change on a case by case basis. The N-600 instructions will identify if any other documents are required in your case.  

All N-600 applicants are not required to have an in-person interview with USCIS; they will review your application and determine the next steps.  

If USCIS approves your application, they will issue you a Certificate of Citizenship: 

“If you are over 14 years of age, you will be scheduled to appear at a USCIS office to take the Oath of Allegiance if the Oath of Allegiance ceremony is not conducted on the same day as the interview. If you are under the age of 14, you may not be required to take the Oath of Allegiance.”

An application for a Certificate of Citizenship can be delayed or denied due to simple preventable errors or missing paperwork. Immigration laws change frequently and can be confusing. It’s wise to consult an immigration attorney to ensure your application is complete and accurate and follows the most current regulations. 

With experience in many immigration cases, Mario Godoy and the other experienced immigration attorneys at the Godoy Law Office can assess your situation and advise you on your best options. Call today at 855-554-6369. 


Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association