We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

tax information for undocumented immigrants | godoy law office immigration lawyers

Tax Information for Undocumented Immigrants

It’s tax season in the United States, and a common question is if someone is an undocumented immigrant and doesn’t have a social security number, should they file taxes? The short answer is yes. Non-citizens are required to file tax returns and pay taxes on any income earned in the U.S. Not paying your taxes is considered an “unlawful act” by USCIS that adversely reflects on moral character for immigration and naturalization purposes. Here are five frequently asked questions about tax requirements for undocumented immigrants.

5 FAQs About Taxes and Undocumented Immigrants

  1. File a tax return:
    Regardless of your immigration status, if you have income from sources within the United States, you are required to file a tax return. This includes income from employment, self-employment, or investments.
  2. Use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN):
    If you do not have a Social Security number, you can apply for an ITIN to file your tax return. You can apply for an ITIN by completing Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  3. Take advantage of available tax credits:
    As an undocumented immigrant, you may be eligible for certain tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Child Tax Credit (CTC), if you have qualifying dependents. These credits can help reduce your tax liability or result in a refund.
  4. Keep accurate records:
    It is important to keep accurate records of your income and expenses. This will help you accurately report your income and claim any deductions or credits you may be eligible for.
  5. Seek professional advice:
    Tax laws and regulations can be complex, so it is important to seek professional advice from a qualified tax professional or an immigration lawyer. They can guide your specific situation and help ensure that you are complying with all applicable tax laws.

An experienced immigration attorney can help you apply for an ITIN so you can file your federal and Illinois state taxes. Undocumented immigrants who work in the United States and file taxes using an ITIN can use that information for immigration purposes: to learn more, read: Should I File Taxes If I’m Undocumented and Don’t Have an SSN?

Are You A Non-Citizen and Want to Pay Your Taxes?

Are you undocumented and need help with your immigration case? The attorneys at Chicago’s Godoy Law Office fight for immigrants’ rights in Illinois. We help immigrants navigate the complex and numerous immigration policies, procedures, and regulations. Contact our office at 630-912-0322.

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association