Why Hong Kong Entrepreneurs Choose Illinois
On August 5, 2021, President Biden issued a memorandum to defer for 18 months the removal of Hong Kong residents in the United States on August 5, 2021, due to unrest in the country. With the current strength of the U.S. dollar and the growing U.S. economy, now is a good time for Hong Kong residents who want to move to the United States – and Illinois is a great place for Hong Kong entrepreneurs!
Illinois is the Most Welcoming State in the Country
- In 2021, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker signed the Illinois Forward Act and promised: “to adopt policies that make Illinois a welcoming state for immigrants.”
- New American Economy, a bipartisan research group, dedicated to immigration reform, released its second-annual Cities Index recently named Chicago the most immigrant-friendly city in the United States.
- 1 in 7 residents in the state is an immigrant, and over 20% of all business owners in the Chicago metropolitan area are immigrants.
EB-5 Investor Program for Entrepreneurs
The EB-5 investor visa program allows investors, their spouses and unmarried children under 21 to apply for a green card (permanent residence) if they:
- Make the required investment in a commercial enterprise in the United States; AND
- Create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified U.S. workers
Other Opportunities for Hong Kong Entrepreneurs to Move to Illinois
There are many different opportunities for Hong Kong residents to move to Illinois.
- STEM Workers
Immigrants with doctoral degrees focused on advanced computing, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, advanced missile propulsion technologies, semiconductors and other areas of study that support national security efforts.
- STEM Students
The U.S. wants to attract more foreign J-1 STEM (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) talent.
- Healthcare Workers
- Tech Workers
- Family Members of American Citizens
Illinois Family and Business Immigration Lawyer
Godoy Law Office practices family and business immigration law. Clients seek us for advice and representation as they seek business- and family-based visas, green cards and deportation defense. Contact us online to schedule a consultation or call us at 630-912-0322.
AREAS WE SERVE: Godoy Law Office Immigration Lawyers serves the entire Chicago, Illinois area. Including DuPage, Cook, Kane, Will and Lake Counties