We serve immigration clients nationwide. Contact Us to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers today.

how to sponsor your wife for a green card | godoy law office immigration lawyers

How To Sponsor Your Wife For a Green Card: Sunday September 18 Is Wife Appreciation Day

Happy wife, happy life!

Wife Appreciation Day is on September 18. Also called National Wife Day, it is a day for husbands to show and tell their wives how important they are to them and how much they appreciate the big and small ways they make a difference in their daily life. Celebrated annually on the 3rd Sunday of September, it’s an excellent opportunity to thank your wife for everything she does for you and your family. If you want to show your appreciation with a gift, some ideas she might enjoy are:

  • flowers are a traditional symbol of love
  • dinner out is a nice way to start the week
  • a gift card for a spa day at her favorite salon
  • a get-out-of-the-house pass to spend time with her friends
  • sponsorship for a green card or to become a U.S. citizen 

You know your wife better than anyone. What do you think would make her feel appreciated? Hint: Husband Appreciation Day is the 3rd Sunday of April!

How To Sponsor Your Wife For a Green Card

If you want to apply for a green card for your wife to live in the United States. 

  • you must be a U.S. citizen OR a permanent resident (green card holder)
  • you must be at least 21 years old
  • you and your wife must be legally married

Here is an overview of the steps to sponsor your wife for a marriage-based green card. If you are a green card holder, you can sponsor your wife under the F-2A family-based second preference immigrant visa category. If you are a United States citizen, you can apply for a green card for your wife under the immediate relative category. 

  1. File Application
    • If you are a U.S. citizen, you must complete and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.
    • If you are a green card holder, you must complete and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. And If your wife is already in the United States, an Application to Adjust Status Form I-485 – your spouse must remain in legal status the entire time. If your wife is outside the United States, an application for an immigrant visa, Form DS-260.
  2. Documentation
    Submit certain supporting documents such as your marriage certificate, proof of your citizenship or green card status, proof of divorce or death of spouse if either of you were previously married, proof of income, plus other documents that demonstrate that you have a bona fide marriage.
  3. Marriage Interview
    Your wife will typically be required to have a medical examination and will have to schedule a marriage interview with an immigration officer. Each marriage interview is unique, and the immigration officer can ask any questions needed. Still, spousal green card applicants can expect questions such as these to test the validity of their marriage.

WATCH: Chicago Immigration Lawyer Mario Godoy On How To Get a Green Card for Your Spouse

Do You Want to Sponsor Your Wife For A Green Card?

The attorneys at Godoy Law Office have experience in family-based immigration and marriage-based green cards. We can help you sponsor your wife to live with you in the United States and ensure that your immigration application has the best opportunity for a successful outcome. Our skilled immigration attorneys can put their experience to work for you. Please contact our office at 630-912-0322 to schedule a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. 

Lead Counsel Rated
Illinois State Bar Association
American Immigration Lawyers Association